Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Featured Artist: Kim Adelman

For many years now Kim has shown her work in Buddha Abides to the enjoyment of many, many people. Several times, once her piece was sold, several other potential buyers were disappointed that they were too late! In fact one year, someone loved her work so much that they asked to see other works that weren't even in the show and bought one of those.

So, we are delighted to feature Kim, and her beautiful paintings, this year in the 7th Buddha Abides contemporary art exhibition.

Here is a personal profile, in her own words:

"I paint with acrylic on canvas. The subjects are familiar, particularly if you live in the Central Coast area of California. The often foggy and hazy light of the coastline and my near-sightedness influence my sense of vision, diluting forms in the atmosphere, creating new forms which are often more suggestive than precise. My intention is to create a reality which becomes a first step toward imagination, the outline of a dream, the conjunction of illusion and truth which is observed. My hope is to inspire in people a connection with nature and calmness.

I was born on October 26, 1954 in Riverside, California, where I also grew up. Between the years of 1972 and 1981 I traveled across the United States twice, Western Europe twice, and spent three months in Tehran, Iran. Through these explorations, my suspicion that people are all basically the same, and desire the same things, was confirmed.

I studied full time at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California for one year. I then transferred to the University of California in Riverside where I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Studio Art in 1992. I received the Chancellor's Award in 1991 for my paintings, and graduated with honors."

Exhibitions:
Riverside Museum of Art, Riverside, CA
Storyteller Gallery in Tucson, Arizona
Montecito Art and Frame Gallery, Montecito, CA
Faulkner Gallery, Santa Barbara, CA
Delphine Gallery, Santa Barbara, CA
Caruso/Woods Fine Art, Santa Barbara, CA

"When I am out enjoying Mother Nature,
There is an overwhelming sense of well-being that envelopes me.
I breath more deeply.
I feel greatly connected to the Earth.
I am truly present.
My mind quiets down and my senses just... enjoy.
It feels great to be alive.
This is the experience I wish to evoke through my work."

Kim Adelman